I wanted to get back into writing some blog articles because I’ve been doing some exciting things at work and in my spare time, so it was time to dust off the old blog site and see what I had to work with. My previous site served me well as a place to share some side projects, show off some freelance web design work that I did while I was studying, and then became a bit of a testament to how little I have written over the last 3 years. It was a static site generated by Jekyll, from a time when I was really trying to get into Ruby and exploring the possibility of writing my own static site generator.
When I returned to it a couple of months ago, I was left feeling a bit disconnected. That stack doesn’t reflect the technologies that I work with anymore, and as my website was always a playground for new ideas something had to change. So in a very short space of time I acted like a classic developer. I had started with an idea to write some new posts, and I ended up creating a branch, deleting (almost) everything, and staring at the possibility of rewriting the whole site from the ground up.
So what was I looking for now? Ideally something that I could use to generate a static site, but using modern web technologies such as Webpack, and React. I started out trying to write something lightweight myself, but in researching answers to my problems, I came across a pretty great project.
So (if you are reading this around the time it was published…) you are seeing the minimal feature set version of the site that I could create. It shows blog posts that I write in markdown, it has an archive, and an about page. It will also serve as a base for me to add more functionality as and when I need it, and keeps the content nicely abstracted away from whatever I do with the code. It’s very much a work in progress, and very much a learning curve for me in a lot of ways - which is what makes it so interesting to do - and that’s what my site needed, a bit of interest again!